Ramsgate is giddy with excitement and springing into life from today (12th April) with most of our businesses opening their doors for the first time this year! It’s been a long old winter and we can’t wait to welcome back residents and visitors to our lovely town! I wanted to give a shout out to all our fabulous businesses and wish them the very best of luck for this season and beyond and let’s hope they never have to lockdown their premises again!
The town and harbour are bustling with activity as our business owners prepare to welcome you all back. Windows, doors and floors are all being buffed, flowers are being spruced and outside seating is being scrubbed and polished, ready for a bright start to the season. Luckily for us, a lot of our pubs, cafes and restaurants benefit from outdoor seating so many will be welcoming you back from tomorrow as well.
Of course, all of our barbers, hair and beauty salons will also be greeting their customers from tomorrow so expect to see lots of us with pampered locks, faces and nails from around midday onwards! I’ve got to wait another week before I get to return to my true hair colour (bottled blonde!) so until then, expect to see me donning a hat! A special mention and best of luck to two new businesses that open their doors for the first time tomorrow; Lounge 27 in York Street, a new Turkish barbers and The Recovery Well in Turner Street, offering holistic treatments and therapy.
For those of you who are confused about the current Recovery Road Map guidelines (that’s all of us then!) here is a brief rundown of the rules as I see them;
- Respect the rules of each business you enter
- Wear face masks when entering a business and keep a respectable distance from anyone outside your bubble
- Respect the rule of six when sitting outside a business
- People (within own bubble or up to 2 households) can stay in self catering accommodation (that has no shared spaces) from 12th April
- People can start to tentatively book other accommodation such as hotels and B&Bs from 17th May
- The earliest date for more mixing of households staying away together will be 21st June
- Remember to smile and enjoy the freedom! We may not be able to see your entire happy face but it’s all in the eyes!
If you would like to read the official version of the above guidelines, head over to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-coronavirus-restrictions-what-you-can-and-cannot-do
So come on down (only 76 minutes from St Pancras! Check out our Travel Info for details), have a browse around the town and harbour, enjoy some shopping, take in the sea and harbour views and finally say cheers to 2021! Let’s have some fun!
Rebekah Smith, Ramsgate Town Promoter on behalf of Ramsgate Town Council