There is so much going on in Ramsgate this winter, I thought the best way was to list it all in one poster but below, are the highlights taking place from the end of November through to New Year’s Day!
- Ramsgate Lights Switch On in Ramsgate Town Centre on Sunday, 24th November, 12 -5pm (switch on at 4.30pm). This is always a wonderful community event with so much to do for all the family. This year will see the return of the snow globe in the high street along with staples such as the children’s carousel, popcorn and candy floss, the land train, live entertainment on the stage and from Looping the Loop’s Naughty Elves. Look out for their red caravan where they will be running workshops to create a unique Christmas tea towel for a lucky member of the family! Lantern Parade workshops will also be taking place in preparation for the Winter Parade on 1st December and further along Harbour Street at number 26, Santa will make a temporary grotto with craft activities and face painting also available. The handmade and vintage fair will be joining the event in Queen Street offering lots of festive goodies for your favourite people!
- Artisan Christmas Market at the Italianate Glasshouse King George VI Park from 30th November for 2 days. An opportunity to bag some unique handmade presents from some of our local, talented makers. The hosts will be decorating the Glasshouse with Christmas lights and also providing their usual fare along with mulled wine and mince pies to add to the festivities.
- Addington Street Indoor Christmas Fair on Sunday, 1st December with live music and all your favourite pop-up stalls including the handmade and Vintage fair and lots more! All the lovely shops in Addington Street will be joining too so it is a perfect opportunity to sample their wares!
- Ramsgate Winter Lantern Parade 1st December starts at 4pm from Arts in Ramsgate, 18 Harbour Street and will travel up to Argos, then down through the High Street, Harbour Street and up Albion Hill and through Albion Gardens then back to base at Arts in Ramsgate. Workshops are available every Thursday (5-7pm) and Saturday (2-4pm) except 23rd and 30th. Special workshops are available on 24th instead.
- Ramsgate Illuminations start end of November/beginning of December with the boat owners lighting up their boats throughout December – always an absolute delight and a perfect excuse for a stroll around the harbour and burning off some of those mince pies!
- The Christmas Tree Festival at St George’s Church starts on Friday 6th December for 9 days – every year it becomes increasingly extravagant with more community groups getting involved. It really does look spectacular and is well worth a visit. Opening times are 2-5pm Monday to Friday, 11.20am – 5pm on Saturdays and 12.20pm to 5pm on Sundays.
- Late Night Indie Shopping Night, Thursday 5th December till 8pm – a trail of our independent stores offering special deals, Christmassy treats and prizes! Each customer who makes a purchase will receive a free raffle ticket with a first prize of £50 to spend in one or two of the participating shops! Raffle will be drawn on the evening around 7.30pm. Kent Show Choir and Little Rouge will be joining the festivities from 5.30pm for an hour in Charlotte court so please come along and sing along!
- Maker’s Market at Archive Homestore Thursday, 12th December till 9pm a lovely evening celebrating some of the wonderful local makers in Thanet.
- St Laurence Church’s Xmas fair on Saturday, 14th, December 10.30am to 1pm
- The Christmas Cracker Variety Show at St George’s Hall on Sunday, 15th December from 7.30pm – 10pm.
- A Winter Wotsit at Wellington (formerly Wassail!), Sunday, 15th December, 4.30pm -6.30pm their Christmas sing-a-long at the east cliff bandstand, offering free chilli and chocolate cake for the first 300 people. Mulled cider and apple juice or hot chocolate will also be available for a small charge. Special guest this year is local cellist, Ivan Hussey.
- Family Christmas Service at Christ Church, Sunday 15th December, 4pm, children can dress up as someone in the Nativity and there’s a craft activity afterwards.
- Screaming Alley Christmas Cabaret at Red Arrows Club, Friday, 20th December, 7.30pm – 10pm. An alternative Christmas show, not for the faint hearted but always a good laugh.
- Carols by Candlelight at St George’s Church, 21st December, 7pm
- Carols by Candlelight at Christ Church, Vale Square, 22nd December, 6pm
- Midnight Mass at St George’s Church, 24th December 11.30pm
- Christmas Day Service at St George’s Church, family service, 10.30am with mince pies and mulled wine afterwards.
- New Year Eve Fireworks at midnight to welcome in 2020 (I am still waiting for final permission but fingers crossed!). Weather permitting of course and due to health and safety constraints, we are not allowed to use the harbour or port so this year, we will be trialling the fireworks on Ramsgate Main Sands. Best viewing points will be East Pier and East Cliff UPPER promenade. Please note, LOWER promenade will be closed off (where the blue hoardings along Pleasurama) for public safety one hour before and after the event.
Here’s to a fabulous Christmas in Ramsgate and a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!
Rebekah Smith, Ramsgate Town Promoter